What is Cardiovascular Surgery ?
Vascular Surgery is a particular kind of surgery that deals with surgical interventions of arteries and veins. It also cures diseases of the vascular system and deals with treatment of the areas of dilatation of the blood vessel that can rupture if not treated.
Blockages of blood vessels treated by vascular surgeons if not treated causes lack of blood flow to the body, stroke and other serious complications. The treatment requires removal of the area of blockage, carotid endarterectomy or carotid stenting in which a tube is placed within the artery that allows blood flow.
Veins contain leaflet valves for preventing blood from flowing backwards When the veins become varicose (enlarged), they do not meet properly, and the valves do not work allowing the blood to flow backwards and they are enlarged even more.
Causes for Cardiovascular Disease
- Long hours of standing or sitting
- Female hormones, especially those of pregnancy
- Muscular compartment forces travelling through connecting veins, create higher pressure in the superficial veins leading to the enlargement of the vessels.
Symptoms of Varicose veins
- Swelling in the ankles
- Heavy legs, worsened at night
- Appearance of spider veins (telangiectasia)
- Discoloration near the affected veins (brownish-blue)
- Even small tale a long time to heal
- Redness, dryness, and itchiness of areas of skin
One of the prime treatments of varicose veins is surgery. Another kind of supportive treatments can be medicines and graduated compression stockings and even elevating the legs can offer temporary relief. There are Sapheno-femoral junction ligation and vein stripping operation involves the removal of all or a part of the saphenous vein main trunk after skin incisions are given over the groin and leg.
Laser Cardiovascular Surgery
(A). Endovenous Laser Ablation
The main aim of this less invasive alternative is to provide proper thermal energy to the wall of the damaged vein for the produce of fibrosis and lastly disappearance of the vein. The process takes around 45 minutes on each leg. The process leaves less scars and minimizes pain too.
One of the most frequently followed non-surgical treatment for varicose veins where the medicine is injected into the veins to shrink them down. The procedure safe as well as effective.
Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is a surgical process where fatty deposits that block one of the two carotid arteries, is removed. This process plaque from the artery of the patient, improving the blood flow. It is mainly performed in old age people.
Carotid Artery Disease
After an examination is done and the level of plaque is determined, duplex ultrasound is performed that makes use of painless sound waves for showing the blood vessels and measuring the speed of the blood flow. Following are the other tests:
- Computed tomographic angiogram (CTA)
- Computed tomography (CT) scans of the brain
- Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
Postoperative care of Vascular Surgery
- Less consumption of saturated fat, cholesterol and calories
- Regular Exercise, especially aerobic and walking
- Avoidance of smoking
- Regular antiplatelet therapy
- Maintain ideal body weight
- Take medications for lowering cholesterol
To know more about Vascular Surgery keep browsing our site Medical India Tourism and to book a medical tour to India please fill the given form.