Forehead lift surgery, also known as brow lift surgery, is performed in order to restore a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance of the forehead area. The aim of this surgery is to correct the shape of the eyebrows and eliminating the furrows or wrinkles of the forehead. Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) can also be done along with Forehead lift surgery, when the patient has developed excess skin in the upper eyelids.
What is Forehead Lift Surgery ?
A forehead lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure used to elevate the position of the eyebrows and forehead. This procedure is mainly performed to improve the external appearance of the face. It works on improving the upper one third part of the face, in order to give it a more youthful look. People in the age group of between 40-60 opts more for forehead lift surgery to minimize the signs of ageing. However, this surgery is beneficial for people of young age or middle age who have developed frown lines which can be a result of some tension or any other muscle activity.
Types of Forehead Lifts
- Open Forehead Surgery
- Endoscopic Forehead Surgery
Procedure for Forehead Lift
The two procedures are performed under general anesthesia. The procedure usually takes up to two hours.
- Open Forehead Surgery : During this surgery, the first incision is made either in the crease or on the hairline. Coronal incision is the most frequently used and the incision is made at the back of the hairline. The pretrichial incision is that type where the middle part of the incision is straightly on the hairline. The last type of incision is very commonly used and the incision is made in the center of the forehead. This type of incision is very common in male patients who have developed serious forehead creases.
- Endoscopic Forehead Surgery : During this surgery, a number of incisions are made either at the back of the hairline or straight away in the scalp. For performing this surgery, the hair is tied together at the back where the incisions are made. Then the surgeon places an endoscope (metal tube) with a camera to examine the whole surgery on TV and is done prior to remove any surplus skin or tissue.
Both the procedures involved in the removal of fatty tissue and forehead muscles. After this all the rest surplus skin is cut and muscles are further tightened. Now the surgeon will lift the brow so as to fix it in a proper place and the rest skin is smoothened. Thread lift or suture technique can also be used to perform the forehead lift surgery.
Who should consider Forehead Lift ?
- Deep horizontal creases across the forehead
- Frown lines, or furrows, between the eyebrows and above the nose
- Sagging or low position of the eyebrows, creating a tired or sad appearance
Forehead Lift Recovery
The patient is required to stay in the hospital for up to 10 days and stitches will be removed between 5-10 days after the surgery. The patient should not go for rigorous exercises. To recover from the post surgery swelling, the elevation of the head is very helpful. Smoking can hinder the healing process.
Non-Invasive Alternatives to a Forehead Lift
- Soft Tissue Fillers : The injections made up of filler materials are specifically used to even out the skin by reducing wrinkles. The injections of botulinum help in minimizing the frowning lines by paralyzing all the facial muscles. Collagen and fat are two most used materials.
- Botulinum Toxin : It is a type of compound which is generated by the growing cells and the spores of the organism which causes Clostridium Botulinum. It is very effective in reducing frown wrinkles.
Both soft tissue and botulinum toxin injections are very effective but also a temporary alternative to forehead lift surgery.
Cost Forehead Lift
India’s medical tourism provides very good assistance to international patients for their low cost and safe surgical treatments in India. The cost of forehead lift/ brow lift is very less compared to the cost in abroad cosmetic centers. Low cost treatment in India does not affect the quality standard of the treatment, as India has the best medical facilities in the world.