Liposuction, also referred to as Lipoplasty, Liposculpture and Suction Lipectomy is a type of cosmetic surgery that reshapes the different parts of the body by removing excess fat deposits from the desired areas. By using this technique, excess or unwanted fat can be removed. Breast, hips, thighs, stomach, waist, neck, chin, calves and arms are the different body areas from where the fat is removed using Liposuction technique. More and more people are opting for this technique to get a perfect shape of their body.
What is Liposuction ?
The concept of Liposuction is surprisingly simple and permanently removes fat cells from the body. The surgical process is used to remove unwanted fat deposited between the skin and muscle for improving the body’s contour and shape. The patients who opt for liposuction, generally have a stable body weight but would like to remove undesirable deposits of fat in specific parts of the body.
Why Is Liposuction done ?
The goal of the surgery involves the removal of fat deposits that have settled in different areas of the body. The surgery is the answer to fat removal that cannot be reduced by the means of any physical exercise or dieting. The surgical procedure is helpful in removing the fat from the buttocks area by adding more volume to it.
- Ultrasound Assisted Lipectomy (UAL ) : It involves ultrasound energy for breaking the fat cells. This is done in order to suction them out before. The benefit of this technique is that it leads to less amount of blood loss along with decreased surgeon’s effort.
- Suction Assisted Lipectomy(SAL) : This traditional technique along with fine cannulas provides great results to the patient. It is regarded as the gold standard technique for performing liposuction.
Who should consider Liposuction Surgery ?
People should have realistic expectations about the results of the procedure.
- Have firm and elastic skin
- Good in overall health
- Be of average or slightly above-average weight
- Have concentrated pockets of fat that do not respond well to diet and physical exercises
Procedure for Liposuction
The surgical procedure starts by making little incisions of about 3mm in order to insert small tube named cannula beneath the skin. This smaller tube is connected to a device which generates high vacuum pressure. The earlier fat deposits which are treated earlier with the help of injections, are then suctioned out from the skin through cannula. The small tube (cannula) reaches to the specific desired areas of the skin by moving beneath the skin. Generally more than one incision is required and the number also depends on each area characteristics. In order to make the outer appearance homogeneous, the surgeon follows a cross line pattern to introduce the small tube (cannula) from other positions. The removal of fat becomes easier when it ruptures and liquefies.
Types of Liposuction
- Tumescent Liposuction : The surgeon will inject a solution into the patient’s fatty areas before the fat is removed. The saline solution, epinephrine and a mild painkiller will contract the blood vessels. The solution removes the fat easily, reduce blood loss and eases the pain.
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction : The ultrasonic energy is used to liquefy the fat and is then removed from the body.
Benefits of Liposuction
- Feel more in proportion
- Motivation to pursue a healthier lifestyle
- Increased self confidence
- Ability to have a many choice of clothes
This non-surgical procedure involves the use of non-invasive methods like ultrasonic, chemical agents injections and lasers. By using these non-invasive methods, the goal is to liquefy and melt the fat cells present in the different areas of the body.
After the surgery, the patient can have sore and bruised surgical area for some weeks. The patient may also face fluid draining out from the incisions. The patient can only take a shower but only after 48 hours after the surgery. Swimming or baths are totally prohibited. The post operation period requires a compression garment for about 3-6 months. The patient can get back to its normal routine life after 3-4 days.
Cost of Liposuction Surgery
The low cost of Liposuction technique in India attracts patients from all over the world. However, the cost of surgery depends upon the specific body area selected. All the doctors in India are well trained and highly experienced offering the best treatment to their patients.